Australian Personal Finance Blogs

By | August 30, 2016

Australian personal finance blogs - dividends down under blogAuthor: Mr and Mrs DDU.

We were inspired to write this article from a question on the Financial Independence Australia Reddit, asking for the Best Aussie Personal Finance Bloggers’. So here is our master list of all the Australian personal finance blogs we come across (we will occasionally update this when we find any others).

We’ve put our own personal finance/investing views aside – if the blog is Australian, talks about personal finance and are active, we will include it on our list.  We must admit that we don’t trawl the internet for Aussie personal finance blogs though and don’t claim to know of every single one.

So in no particular order, here are a bunch of Australian personal finance blogs for you to sink your teeth into:

Dividends Down Under – Firstly, there’s us (Hi!). We are a couple in our mid-20s blogging about how we’re saving money, making money, investing, aiming to retire early and become financially independent. We’re also going through the emotionally (and financially) painful process of IVF treatments.

Barefoot Investor – Scott Pape has one of the best Australian newsletters out there. We love his no-nonsense, witty, down to Earth approach that helps everyday Australians get to grips with their finances and current financial news.

Wealth From Thirty – WFT has just turned 30, he’s doing a PhD and Masters degree which he’s nearly finished. He blogs about finances, saving and investing, particularly Australian things. He even does regular net worth updates too!

Australian Dividend Investor – ADI focuses on the dividends of companies to evaluate if they’re good investments and blogs about the benefits of dividends. Eventually he’d like to replace his current income with dividends just like us.

Adventures with Poopsie – Is a combination of finances and travel. They’re a classic couple who want to retire early.

Money Glee – Jef likes to talk about the feelings and psychology behind finances. The more you can understand your money, the more you’ll have Money Glee.

Enough Time To – Mrs ‘Enough Time To’ started her blog to look at how she spends her time and make better use of it. After all, time is money.

Get Fire’d ASAP – Martin has made it to Financial Independence and he’s retired early. He’s sharing his journey and also tips on how we can all get to FIRE too.

FIRE By Thirty-Five – Or “LadyFIRE” is determined to be financially independent and retire early at 35 – as the name suggests! Her main jam is investing in property and already has her own home and an investment property, paying off 2 mortgages in her mid-20s.

The Wealthy Bogan – He is aiming to FIRE at the age of 30 and is currently in his mid-20s, that’s some determination! He lives in Adelaide and works for an average income, saving hard on building his stealth wealth to reach that elusive FIRE.

Buy Hold Long – Caleb is in his mid-20s and also on the FIRE path. He started investing in October 2016 and is a big believer in long-term buy and hold stocks, especially looking for bargains or little-known stocks with big potential.

Miss Money Box – She has a strong interest in personal finance and wants to share her knowledge with the world, particularly with women who don’t have much experience with finances.

Remember To Water – Tom shares his money tips, lessons and documents his own financial journey. He accidently made it to $1M and now he’s actively focusing on his financials.

Financial Farmers – Are a couple in their 30s with one child living in NSW. They are all about reaching financial freedom at the age of 40 and living a sustainable lifestyle, with 4 chickens, an active vegetable garden and a dream to one day own a farm of their own.

Insider Accountant – like the name suggests, he gives an inside view into the world of accounting. He also wants people to realise that accountants are cooler than first appearances.

Dollar Wise – Luke is a family guy who wants to help Australians make wise choices with their money, which will help them be frugal and retire early.

Makin Cents – Loves to share general financial tips, such as how to improve your fuel economy, the great thing is that it’s completely from an Australian perspective, which means you get Australia-specific tips!

The FI Explorer – Is in his 40s and aiming for FIRE in 2021. He is sharing his journey, what he learns and portfolio updates along the way and loves the idea of connecting with like-minded people on the same path.

Slack Investor – Is all about investing for the best returns with the least amount of effort and keeping his blog updated with how he does it. With 30+ years of investing experience under his belt, he invests in Australian stocks but also enjoys international diversification by investing in the USA and UK.

Hey It’s Just Money! – J is a 30 something blogger who is on a financial journey, ultimately with a goal to be able to one day comfortably say “Hey, it’s just money” with no stress. We love J’s blog because she’s one of the most laid back and relatable people we’ve come across.

Tightarse Tuesdays – Mr T is a young 20s blogger who’s just left uni with a bachelor’s degree in science/applied maths. He’s gained a reputation for being a frugal tightarse (hence the blog name) and he’s currently travelling around Australia in a van with his girlfriend (future Mrs T – no pressure). We’re excited to follow Mr T’s blog as he starts ‘adulting’ with his first full time job.

When The Path Forks – WTPF shares his thoughts on what has worked for him financially so far. He also aims to give Australian centric advice.

All About Balance – Is a Sydney-sider with a philosophy of making simple changes for maximum results and, of course, bringing balance to life. She aims to blog weekly, sharing the journey and tips along the way.

Aussie Firebug – He’s a young Aussie who is blogging in detail about his journey towards FIRE. Have a read of his investing techniques and frugal lifestyle.

I Live Off Dividends – Calvin advocates for people to be in charge of money, rather than money being in charge of them. By investing in companies who pay dividends, people can start being in control of their lives.

Extra shoutouts

These don’t fit the specific “Australian personal finance blog” mould but have a finance element. We like each of these places on the internet, so maybe you might like them too:

Reddit Financial Independence Australia  – There are over 2,000 people subscribed to this sub Reddit, with everyone aiming for financial independence. It’s a great place to ask a question or read about other people’s progress.

Life We Learn – LWL is a 30 something professional who writes about her thoughts on whatever is happening in her life, which often will be her financial experiences.

NZ Muse – Is actually a New Zealander personal finance blog about money and relationships. She’s chasing health, wealth and happiness, trying to get some balance and get ahead.

52 thoughts on “Australian Personal Finance Blogs

1. Mr. PIE

Huh! A bunch more new stuff to check out. My weekends and evenings just got even busier.Thanks!!

Will have to check out that first one you mentioned……😄

Haha, you’re welcome Mr PIE, maybe you’ll find another blog or 2 you like.

I hope you do like that first blog, I hear they’re quite the up and coming bloggers. 🙂

2. Doug

Great information. I come across one other on here from another site but I agree with MR Pie on the first one

3. Mrs. ETT

Thanks for the shout-out, and thanks for the list. A big part of FI is building community, and it is so exciting to have an Australian one! Maybe one day we will get to the point of a future “FIRE Escape” like Huw organises in the UK. Now off to add new blogs to my RSS reader, hooray.

4. Martin - Get FIRE'd asap

Hey guys, thanks for the mention. I feel like I’m hanging out with some great company here. There’s a couple of new Oz blogs I haven’t read yet so big ‘ups’ for bringing them to my attention. Looks like some more reading to add to the list.

You’re welcome Martin, it’s good company indeed 🙂 I hope you enjoy the ones you hadn’t heard of before. Feel free to share any names if we haven’t includes them.

Hey Luke, thanks for coming to our blog and commenting 🙂

We’ll have a look at your blog and then add you when we’ve got a feel for what you’re about (so we can write a nice description).

5. wealth from thirty

Thanks for the mention! I’m still working out Twitter but I think I re-tweeted! I’ll have to circle back here on the weekend to check out a few I haven’t seen before – confession: I really like dividend investor blogs, even though it’s not my approach, all those dividend income updates are awesome to read.

You’re welcome WFT, and you did retweet – thanks for doing that 🙂 It’s interesting to read other people’s investing approaches. I find it interesting reading about American and Canadian DGI investors, even though we don’t invest like that.

6. ADI

I almost emailed you this afternoon to ask if you knew any other Australian blogs! Great timing. Looking forward to checking them all out.

I’m extremely jealous of all the youngsters on this list! What I would have given to know about some of this stuff 10 years ago… Looking forward to reading up!

Haha, glad we could help ADI. It’s pleasing that there are several young bloggers out there, hopefully we all can inspire young Aussies to go through the same journey.

Enjoy reading 🙂 Feel free to ask us about anything else.

7. Jon @ Be Net Worthy

Thanks for sharing the list – more blogs to check out! Now, since they’re south of the equator, do I need to turn my monitor upside down to read them? Ha, ha, sorry it’s early here and my coffee hasn’t kicked-in yet!

I hope there’s a few Aussie blogs that you like on this list.

You don’t need to turn your screen upside down, all Australian internet servers have text flipping adapters to turn the internet pages the right way up when the data leaves Australia 🙂

8. Adventures with Poopsie

Wow what a great list and a true honour to be included, thank you! I didn’t know about most of these blogs so have a lot of reading to do! I’m thrilled to see there are some great Aussie blogs out there and can’t wait to sink my teeth into them!

9. J @ Hey It's Just Money!

Thanks for including me here, even if I’ve been hiding as of late. Heh! Thanks for getting this list together, so many of them I didn’t know before this. Mrs. ETT is right, maybe one day we can all hang out and geek out on money and personal finance. So exciting!

10. Pingback: Rolling Unabridged Update #1 | Seeking Returns

11. Jef Miles

Appreciate the inclusion man! We should start our own Aussie Fin Con to have a get-together of Aussie or Australasian bloggers/personal finance enthusiasts :)..
    You’re thoughts?

Not sure if I get your comments notifications via email although shoot me a note to jefmiles@hotmail.com or on twitter 🙂

Thanks again and keep up the great hustle

No worries Jef, glad to include you. I think the Aus PF community needs a fair bit of time to build before something like that is possible (plus I’m not sure we’d be up for that yet – you’re quite out there with your name and face, which is very open of you 🙂 )

12. Miss Balance

I’m glad I stumbled upon this list! I’ll have to carve out some quality reading time, especially for fellow Aussie’s. I love reading all things finance and a lot are based overseas so aren’t always 100% relevant here. Thanks for sharing.

1. Miss Balance

Just came across this again and noticed my name has been added – thank you so much, I think it is my first blog mention ever 😉

13. LadyFIRE

Thanks for writing this, I can’t count the number of times I’ve typed “Australian Financial Independence” into google. Apart from your blog right near the top, most of them seem to be big businesses. I’m a huge fan of the little guy blogs, so thanks for the list!

Whoops – seems we ignored your comment! how rude of us, sorry.

We’re quite excited that we came up near the top when you Googled! It is quite hard to comb through Google to find quality blogs though, especially newer ones don’t get the Google rankings.