Dividend update: September 2016

By | October 1, 2016

dividend-update-september-2016-dividends-down-under-blogAuthor: Mr and Mrs DDU.

Disclaimer: Stocks mentioned on this blog are for general entertainment/documentation purposes only, following our own investment journey and decisions.Nothing in this article should be considered investment advice nor is intended to be investment advice. Please click here to continue reading our disclaimer. By viewing any page on this blog you are agreeing to the linked terms & conditions.

One day we want to be able to live purely off the income from our investments. The earlier this happens in our lives, the better.

How do we know if we’re getting any closer? By tracking it of course.

Our dividend updates and graphs run from 1st July to 30th June each year, lining up with the Australian tax year. So this is this the 2nd month of this tax year.

Dividend Update

In September 2016 we were paid the following in cash and franking credits:

We re-invested our Challenger dividend to receive an additional 4 shares. We received the other dividends as cash. Re-investing really helps compound our returns over the years.

Here is our dividend graph for the tax year so far:

dividends-down-under-dividends-october-2016

$99.72 is so close to breaking the $100 barrier, almost but not quite. Maybe next month will be the first time we do it?

3 months down of this year, our average dividends per month is $35.73. It would be nice if we could get to an average $50 per month by the end of the year.

After a very quiet first 2 months, September was a big one! The rest of our companies pay in October so that should be a big month for us too. We’re excited to see if we can get $100 for the first time!

How was your September for dividends?

Thanks for reading this article about our investing journey Down Under.

32 thoughts on “Dividend update: September 2016

1. Amber tree

Almost the 100 barrier! Nice job. I hope october will set a new record for you.

I had just above 75Eur in dividend hitting my account in Sept.

Cheers

Thanks Amber Tree! I hope so too, we’ve had 2 months where we earned in the $90s, over $100 would be great!

Nice job with your dividends, that’s a nice meal with your family..or more savings. 🙂

Thanks Lanny! Mrs DDU and I are really happy with this month’s dividend income. We know we’ll get across $100 soon, maybe even next month.

You’re getting so close to the $100 mark, congrats!
    I’m behind in keeping up with my dividend income right now. I haven’t even put together the August report yet, so I’m not sure about the dividends for September. August was a good month though. Keep it up!

Thanks Graham, we are very excited to break the 3 digit barrier. It will be a big psychological boost 🙂

Yeah – you’re a bit behind, I want to see those dividend reports. Looking forward to reading it!

3. Doug

You will get there sooner rather than later. I had a pretty good month and a record haul will be posting Monday states time. The rate you are going you are way ahead of me.

Looking forward to reading about your record haul, Doug. I appreciate your praise, we’re very happy with how things are going so far.

4. DivHut

Awesome job with your September dividend income. Always nice to see a crazy spike on a graph. Keep sticking with those solid dividend payers and you have a good chance at reaching $50 average monthly income. Just don’t push it and buy riskier stocks to get there. Of course, I’m not at all familiar with your dividend payers last month but I guess that’s to be expected. Thanks for sharing.

5. Blake (ThreeMillionDollarMission)

Great bar graph! Thrilled for you. I remember the first time I received $100 dollars in Dividends in a month. It was awesome. I enjoyed tracking month to month then and I still do now. I don’t have our print out from the bank yet for Sept!, but I’m looking forward to seeing it. I’m excited to see you break your goal!

Thanks Blake, I’m really happy with how our income is growing – I’m sure we’re not far away from $100. I wish you good luck with your totaling up 🙂

6. Josh @MoneyBuffalo

I have done dividend investing, but have never really focused on it like you guys have. The $100 mark gives me something to work towards. I’m still in the $5-6 range at the moment. Better than nothing, but a motivation to pick up the pace!

Something is better than nothing Josh. We love dividends, we can never get enough of them 🙂

Good luck with your dividend investing if you do that.

7. Amanda @ centsiblyrich

Thanks for sharing your details. Almost $100 is great! Looking forward to following your progress and growth. We have some dividend investments, but most of them get automatically reinvested. I have stocks in one particular company that doesn’t allow reinvestment, and I typically get around $12/month – better than nothing!

Re-investing is one of the absolute best ways to grow wealth in the long term, so good job doing that. $100 would be great, it’s the first step in working towards $200, $500, $1000 etc 🙂 One step at a time.

8. ADI

So close! Great work guys. How do you decide whether to reinvest your dividends versus receiving them in cash?

Thanks ADI! Hopefully get it next month. We re-invest the ones we see holding on for many, many years such as Challenger. The others we don’t necessarily see holding for that long, so we just receive the cash.

9. Team CF

Sweet, almost $100. Nice work (or lack thereof) and some new extra share to keep the snowball going.
    Keep it up guys.

Thanks CF. We are loving the slow, powerful build up of the passive snowball. We don’t even have to push it and it’s growing..but we are going to push it 🙂

10. J @ Hey It's Just Money!

Congratulations on a big dividend month! I have to admit that I don’t track my dividend income (I know) and I just let it do its own thing. My LIC pays out twice a year and my ETF pays four times, I’m on DRP for both. I should really pay more attention to it. :/

Thanks J! 🙂 There’s nothing wrong with not tracking dividends when you’re more looking at it as a total pool of cash. It’s just nice to know how much income we were getting. One day, a big indicator of whether we’re FI or not will be if our investment outcome is more than our desired expenses, which is one of the reasons why we track it. Also, because tracking and growth are fun. Spreadsheets!

Can I just give you the $.28 you need to hit three digits?? Tell me where to mail the check. You said you were close in the comment to my article, but I didn’t realize you were THAT CLOSE. Regardless, congrats on the amazing month. That is some serious, serious progress right there. Looking forward to seeing what the 4th quarter has in store for you.

Take care,

Bert

Thanks Bert, you can keep your $0.28. 🙂 You’ll have to check in next month to see if we break the $100 😉

Yes, we couldn’t have gotten much closer! We’re happy with our record month, it’s just getting slowly bigger each time.