Dividend update: November 2016

By | November 27, 2016

dividend-update-november-2016-dividends-down-under-blog

Disclaimer: Stocks mentioned on this blog are for general entertainment/documentation purposes only, following our own investment journey and decisions. Nothing in this article should be considered investment advice nor is intended to be investment advice. Please click here to continue reading our disclaimer. By viewing any page on this blog you are agreeing to the linked terms & conditions.

One day we want to be able to live purely off the income from our investments. The earlier this happens in our lives, the better.

How do we know if we’re getting any closer? By tracking it of course.

Our dividend updates and graphs run from 1st July to 30th June each year, lining up with the Australian tax year. So this is this the 5th month of this tax year.

Dividend Update

Normally we like to wait and see if we get any dividends before the end of the month, but this update is pretty easy so we thought we’d put it up early. In November 2016 we were paid: $0.

All of the companies that we own paid in September and October, so there’s a bit of a dry spell for the next couple months. It’s extremely likely that by this time next year, there won’t be any empty months.

Here is our dividend graph for the tax year so far:

dividends-down-under-october-2016-dividends

Well, no change to the graph since last time, after 5 months down of this year our average dividends per month is $49.31. Which is a bit of a drop since last time obviously. We’re aiming for an average of $50 a month by June so hopefully we get there with new investments and re-investing dividends.

How was your November for dividends?

Thanks for reading this article about our investing journey Down Under.

34 thoughts on “Dividend update: November 2016

1. Team CF

Ah well, not every month can be a winner! Seriously looking forward to the time you will have a dividend income every month. All the best to the two of you and just keep going strong.

Thank you Team CF, we’re also looking forward to that. I’ll enjoy doing these updates when we get a payment every single month and the cash is really flowing in!

November is a very quiet month for Australia on the dividend front – oh well. We will own one or two by this time this next that do pay in November. We can’t wait for that to happen 🙂

2. Divnomics

I saw the post coming by and thought: this would be the first report for november from around the blogging community 🙂

And indeed, not every month will be as good as others. It would be awesome if every month could produce a steady cashflow, which will never happen obviously. Just keep on going!

Thanks for commenting Divnomics 🙂

You’re right, some months will naturally have more payments than others (somehow Tawcan manages it just about). But we’re happy with the average that we’re receiving so far and we will look to build payments coming from the rest of the months in time.

DDU –

If they paid in September – that means you may have a December month coming up, eh ; ) Keep it up and stay focused! Motivate and push.

-Lanny

November is a lower month for dividends for me as well. I only received a payment from Royal Bank during the month. Awesome that you are earning almost $50 a month this year from dividends. Thanks for sharing 🙂

There are quiet months and good months I guess. This is a silent month for us! But this time next year it won’t be silent, just very quiet.

5. Amber tree

slowly, your diversification will make that each month you have income.
    Then again, why would that be needed… You can adjust your financial future FIRE plan to a few paying months and a few no income months. What matters: what do you get on average per month!

That’s right Amber Tree, slow and steady wins the race. Although the only people we’re racing are ourselves and inflation. We are working on the average, this time next year we will be sitting pretty 🙂

6. Jax

You are not too far from your goal! I have one stock that pays dividends monthly so I don’t have a zero month…but the months where it is the only one paying I have $4 months. Nothing to sneeze at, but nothing to write home about either. Here’s to better coming months!

As long as we can keep up the average throughout the year it should be alright by June 🙂 That’s cool that you already don’t have a $0 month, and $4 is infinitely better than $0. In time we’ll have dividend payers all year round.

7. Miss Mazuma

After reading your blog for the past few months I have been mentally tracking my dividends (not quite ready to write it out yet) and I was curious about the months when it was $0. I am glad to see you have those dry spells too! I realize many stocks pay off quarterly (and none of my individual stocks pay dividends) so I am happy to see I am in the same boat as you! 🙂

I suppose in the end it doesn’t really matter which months they pay, as long as it adds up to a nice yearly amount 🙂 But of course, it’d just be cool to have something paid every month. Maybe this time next year we will be in that situation.

8. Tawcan

Don’t get discouraged, I sure had lots $0 months when I first started out with dividend investing. 🙂

Thanks Tawcan, we aren’t discouraged at all don’t worry. We know these things take time and it’s ultimately about the yearly amount not any individual month that they pay. Hopefully this time next year we have payers lined up for every month 🙂

9. Josh @MoneyBuffalo

My stocks pay quarterly dividends, so I’m looking forward to December. I do like the idea of a “dividend a month” and my goal is to work towards that as money comes available.

Paying quarterly provides better cash flow than paying half-yearly like how most Australian companies do. Even in retirement, as long as you’re good at budgeting it shouldn’t matter. We’re also working towards that, though not specifically – it will just be a by-product of our expanding portfolio.

Dividends are absolutely the best. All this free money for no extra effort 🙂 One day we’ll be receiving S&P500 dividends, but not yet.

10. Andrew

I’m in the same boat as you! No dividends this month, although I did have $48 last month 🙂

Most of my stocks pay dividends on a quarterly or annual basis, so the it’s very lumpy on a monthly basis.

A dry month isn’t the most fun, but as long as the yearly total is what we want it to be, then all is good. There will also be certain months where we get more dividends than others simply because of most Australian company’s payment calendars. But that’s okay, we aren’t relying on the cashflow from these dividends yet.

11. Divi Cents

All that matters is that your yearly totals keep growing. I try not to get to bogged down when I’m having a low month but instead stay focused on the big picture.

Keep moving forward.

Thanks Steve. Thanks the mentality we’re trying to take with this – it doesn’t matter what’s happening month to month really, we need to increase the annual total. It will be nice to have payers all year round, but that isn’t the overall aim of what we’re doing.

12. DivHut

You are already on the path towards FI by simply starting on the DGI route. Some months may bring in $0 but that’s cool as long as your annual total keep climbing. Besides, in time your portfolio will grow to have dividend payers every single month. As always, I enjoy these updates.

13. TheFIexplorer

Hi, I share your feelings about half-yearly distributions – they can challenge your patience on slow months.

I had a question – do you count your franking (tax) credits as part of your dividend income? I’ve never been able to decide if this was ‘cheating’ to get a bigger number, or realistic – assuming all of us will have some tax liability. 🙂

Hey TheFlexplorer! Congrats on starting your blog and thanks for commenting on ours 🙂

We count the franking credits as part of the dividend income (at the time of the dividend) because they count as income regardless of tax bracket. We don’t count Mrs DDU’s tax refund of the credits when we do our savings rate just for full clarity.