IVF Update: Pregnant?

By | January 14, 2017

We have been trying to have a baby since April 2014, nearly 3 years ago. A year and several months after no success we decided to go to a fertility doctor.

After a bunch of tests to see if there were issues, it turned out we needed to do IVF to have any chance of a baby (if there was a chance). This opened a Pandora’s Box of horrible thoughts – would it even be possible to have children? How can we afford it?

Instantly we had to push the idea of our investing to the back of our minds. We would have to turn all of our ‘frugal’ savings and our house deposit fund into an IVF fund. We asked ourselves difficult questions, what is the point of money of not to use as a tool for what you want in life? For us, that meant trying to create a child even if it cost all our saved money.

We prepared for our first IVF attempt by having a meeting with the IVF finance department and also a therapist. Both conversations were confronting for different reasons, we learned exactly how much the IVF would cost and some of the difficult emotional topics were raised again.

We excitedly went to the hospital a few weeks later in May and had our fingers crossed that it would work first time. But it didn’t work, the cycle was cancelled because we couldn’t get the baby ingredients.

It felt devastating. We would have to try again, at a more expensive hospital. We couldn’t afford the hospital fees and the IVF fees so we’d have to wait until our private health insurance kicked in several months later.

So, several months passed and we weren’t sure if we would be able to have another go in 2016. We had a meeting in November with our fertility doctor to see what we could do.

He said that if we get on with it, we could have an attempt in December. So we quickly got our IVF drugs and started. In May it was around a month of drugs, this time it was just 2 weeks.

It was a bit of a whirlwind of a fortnight and suddenly we were on the edge of another attempt. Would we suffer the same fate as last time? All we could do was hope.

We got further than we did last time. We got some baby ingredients, 10 eggs in-fact, 10 eggs that could become fertilised and become embryos. The next step was to make the magic happen.

In the lab, only 1 turned into a fertilised egg. That is a scarily high attrition rate! We had to hope that over the next 48 hours our one chance would keep growing and become an embryo so that it could be implanted into the uterus.

We were told that if the embryo survived we wouldn’t get a call, no news is good news, but at any time we could get a call to say our fertilised egg hadn’t grown and we shouldn’t go in. We were really on edge. One chance was all we had. There was nothing we could do to help our little one grow.

We woke up on the day it was meant to happen. No call.

We had some breakfast and got ready. No call.

We got in the car and headed off. No call.

We were halfway there, we were looking at the clock every minute which felt like 10 minutes. Still no call.

We arrived at the hospital and the time had passed when they would have told us if it had failed at that point. We were nervous and excited.

We made our way to the right ward/room and waited for our IVF nurse. She told us that the fertilised egg had kept growing and was waiting for us as a 4-cell embryo (right on track). We were so relieved it had made it up to this point.

With our hearts beating in our throats we went into the ‘fertilisation room’ (it probably had a much more scientific and boring name).

A lady came in and introduced herself as our laboratory embryologist (or something like that). She’d be bringing our fertilised egg soon. She left. Our doctor and IVF nurse came in and explained a few things. The embryologist came back, with some medical equipment. Each person got into position ready for ‘the moment’. Time seemed to stand still, everything was very serious and tense.

We could see on the ultrasound screen our doctor guiding the embryo into position. We see our little fertilised dot of an egg go in. Just like that.

It was over so quickly, they all left. It was surreal what had just happened, we gathered our thoughts and took a picture of the ‘still’ image of our little dot in the uterus that was still on the ultrasound screen.

We went back home for 2 weeks of more waiting. Anything could go wrong at this point – it is quite common for the embryo to not ‘take’. More fingers crossed and hoping.

A couple of weeks later we did a blood test. This would show if things were progressing as they should be. The blood test showed that the hormone levels were rising as they should be. This is great.

We were up for another blood test a week later to check things were still growing as planned. Even better.

The ultimate sign to see if things worked would be an ultrasound, which we had last Monday (9th January).

In the ultrasound room we could see the very small outline of our tiny baby. It has a beating heart. After almost 3 years, we are officially pregnant.

94 thoughts on “IVF Update: Pregnant?

1. Matthew

Yay congratulations you guys so happy for you. Cheers all the way from Canada 🙌

2. Stalflare

WAY TO GO!!! 🙂 Very happy for you guys!! Keep us posted on the developments! A huge hug from Pizzaland!
    Ciao ciao
    Stal

Thank you Stal! Ironically we just had pizza for dinner! It’s one of the only things I can stomach with the pregnancy nausea, planning to get back to eating less pizza as soon as I can stomach other foods, but for now we will keep eating the delicious food from your lands! :).

3. Buy, Hold Long

This is fantastic! Congrats to you two. You’d be very happy.
    On a different note, since you have been using IVF, have you considered buying shares in the company? Monash IVF (ASX:MVF). I have been interested in them recently. Looks like a good growth prospect.

All the best for 2017

Thanks BHL, we are very happy indeed 🙂

Virtus and Monash IVF are indeed the two big operators in Australia. We think the 2 companies are doing amazing things for their patients but at the moment it’s not something we’re considering investing in because of a couple of reasons: Virtus’ very-recent update showed, they are being challenged by low cost operators and we’ve also seen that there may be new, cheaper treatments coming soon. We will keep our eye on them and perhaps one day they may be in the portfolio.

Thanks Divnomics! By the way I love your name – very cool mash up.

Hopefully it’s just the start of the journey of the rest of our lives 🙂 but definitely happy to put that fertility struggle behind us for now, who knows what will happen if we want to try for baby #2, one day and achievement at a time.

That’s a huge compliment that you got chills! Thank you :)! Sometimes it really dawns on me that it is an actual person in my tummy! it’s so crazy to be here.

4. Martin - Get FIRE'd asap

Wow, that post was edge-of-the-seat stuff and you had me hoping for a positive outcome which it was. Congratulations guys. I’m so pleased for you and wish you the best of luck with the next 9 months, and then the next 20 years or so.

Genuinely chuffed for you here. You deserve the best outcome.

I’m glad we didn’t disappoint with the outcome you were hoping for, we were honestly on the edge of our seats whilst living out the actual events – it was the most nerve-wrecking couple of days I’ve ever experienced!

Thank you very much for the luck you sent our way, means a lot 🙂

5. Vivianne

Congrats! I know you’ve been trying for awhile. Thank you for sharing your story.
    Mr. W and I might have to go through the same thing but hormones scares me. I hope to see more stories coming from you guys,

Cheers!

Thank you Vivianne. I’m sorry to hear that you may have to go through fertility treatments yourself, it is an emotional (and expensive) journey. The hormones actually weren’t bad at all for me, it was more the bloating/feeling of expanded ovaries that bothered me the most – got quite uncomfortable at times, but I just told myself that the more they expanded/bloated the more potential eggs when it came to collect them :).

You’ve got this.

Thank you R2R! It was quite the high to end 2016 on, though during the year the rollercoaster hit some very low points I’m very glad we got there at the 11th hour of 2016.

More chills! We are very honoured :). The waiting/patience has definitely brought us closer as a couple and we have grown a lot, I wouldn’t take any of it back, it has made us who we are – and I like the current us and I’m sure we will continue to grow with each challenge we face.

6. Amanda @ centsiblyrich

Oh my! This is such great news! You had me on the edge of my seat through the whole post….couldn’t wait to find out. Congratulations to both of you! Can’t wait to follow along your journey to parenthood.

You have a lot of self control to not just skip to the bottom to get the answer! Thank you so much Amanda, we will definitely keep you all updated 🙂

Thank you! Hoping they don’t scream too much haha. Can’t wait to hear that adorable newborn cry though, music to anyone’s ears especially right after birth when they need to clear their lungs. I can’t wait!

7. Mrs. BITA

Congratulations! I am so happy for you. May you have an uneventful pregnancy. May your morning sickness be mild. May your feet never swell up like balloons. Celebrations all around!

Thank you Mrs. BITA! Maybe your positive thoughts have already helped! I have had very mild morning sickness surprisingly, just a lot of strong food aversions and nausea when around said food aversions, but so far so good on not following through on that nausea (touch wood). I’ll be heavily pregnant in our winter so hoping that’ll help stop those swelling feet too!

8. Miss Mazuma

Yeah!!! I have been thinking of you guys a lot lately and am so happy to hear this news. Sending hugs from Chicago!! 🤗

Aww thank you Miss M, that means a lot! So sweet of you to think of us too. I haven’t been commenting enough lately, sorry I’ve gone MIA (they don’t lie about pregnancy fatigue!). Really nice to see you in the comments at least x

Thank you AWP :)! It’s such a relief to be able to be so positive and share with you guys the good news! Fingers crossed everything continues smoothly 🙂

9. Tom

😀 Thats fantastic! Huge congratulations, I am so happy for you guys. That post was far to well written, it literally had me on the edge of my seat trying to speed read so I could find out the result. Hope the next 8 or so months go well! I hope that you can re-read this post with your daughter/son in 10 or so years time, it will really highlight to them how much they were (are) wanted.

That is a HUGE compliment on our writing skills! I have to say that Mr DDU wrote most of this one, he was really writing from the heart I guess! Kudos to you for not skipping to the end to find out the result.

That’s one of the things we love about blogging, not only sharing it with all of you guys but also it’s a great outlet for us and a record of our journey, not just investing but the nitty gritty of our life too :). Great idea to read it to our child when they are older.

10. Mr. PIE

My, my! What awesome news. This is beyond exciting. So excited for you both. Fingers crossed and everything else crossed that the next months go well. Make sure to let Mrs DDU take it as easy as possible!

Best, best wishes from all the PIE’s!!

Thanks Mr. PIE 🙂 Thanks for your crossed fingers (and every other crossed thing!) that everything goes smoothly, it really means a lot. Mr DDU is being fantastic at letting me take it easy – he is almost doing too much!

Congratulations guys! I’m really happy for you guys! I was tryna catch up around the blogosphere today and came to this enlightening surprise. I agree with your line–“what is the point of money of not to use as a tool for what you want in life?” That’s how I live everyday now. All the best!

Hi Graham! I’m glad we could be an enlightening part to your day :). 100% use that money as a tool, the FIRE community use it as a tool just as much as anyone else – just in a different way!

12. Tawcan

Oh my god this such a wonderful news! I’m so excited for your guys even though we haven’t met in person. What a fabulous news to get for Christmas/New Year! Fingers crossed that thigns will progress nicely and we’ll be getting a birth announcement in a little while. I can totally feel the excitement in this post. Love it! Make sure to take care of yourselves. 🙂

Thank you Tawcan! It was indeed such a perfect end to 2016 for us, I did feel nervous about how our Christmas/New Years would be if we got bad news.. but it was 100% worth taking the chance.

13. Jef

Awesome update! Great news to read on a Monday morning, congrats, you guys deserve it and wish you all the best up until you guys become parents 🙂

Thanks for sharing this with us all!

Thank you CF. Step two is definitely something new and out of our comfort zone, after trying to get to step two for so long! Still feels so surreal.

Amazing. Congratulations and I couldn’t be happier for you two. Can’t say it enough. Cheers to the great news and the exciting chapters of your lives that are about to unfold.

Bert

15. Hok

Wow! Finally! Congrats! Best wishes guys! You’re one of favourite aussie finance bloggers. It’s great news to hear!
    P.S I’ll add some more !!! to the comment 😀 !!!

Thank you Hok, that is such a huge compliment that we’re one of your favourite aussie bloggers! We are so grateful that you enjoy reading along, love reading your comments too. Thank you again :)!

Thank you Brian, 100% agree that we are hoping for a smooth uneventful pregnancy with an adorable healthy little person at the end of it.

Thank you Apathy Ends! We aren’t too far behind you on the baby timeline, maybe in an alternative reality our kids could be playmates 🙂

16. The Jolly Ledger

I can’t believe I missed this post for so long! This is soooo great! I bet you are both just flying right now. Mrs DDU, do your best to enjoy every minute of your pregnancy. I can’t wait for the birth announcement!

17. Josh @MoneyBuffalo

That’s awesome. A friend of ours that has been trying for awhile just announced they are expecting at the end of summer as well. It’s amazing how exciting some news can be. When we found out with both of ours it was the most emotional I’ve ever been for sure and it’s even crazier when you hold them for the first time!

It’s crazy the number of people I’ve noticed that are expecting around the same time. What wonderful news for your friend too, maybe December 2016 was a fertile month for all kinds of fertility. Seeing Mr DDU’s face at every stage, hearing his reaction to ultrasounds, it’s going to be amazing to watch him be a dad. I’m sure your partner/mum of your kids loved seeing how in love you were with your babies too!

18. Jason

Congrats!! We have a 13 months and our next due in 4 weeks. I still remember the day we found out and the when we announced it. Good luck with the adventure!

And don’t read to many things, I can only imagine how much information is out there in the blogging world!

Thanks for stopping by our blog Jason. Your little ones are very close in age, you’ve definitely got your hands full! Congratulations on your second bundle of joy arriving shortly, wishing your partner a smooth and stress-free birth :).

Thank you! “dividend” is a cute way to put it, unfortunately I think we will be sinking a bit of money into our little one, but we are so happy to be able to invest in a family of our own.

19. WL

Congratulations you both!
    Enjoy the full rollercoaster of pregnancy!
    As a dad of a 1year old son I can share this to you:

If all goes well from here you are going to have So many happy moments!

Cheers!

Thank you for making it sound positive to be a parent! I’m not sure why but so many people like to “warn” you of all the dangers/horrible things as soon as you get pregnant, I’m sure there will be some of the most challenging moments but many many rewards.

20. DivHut

This is awesome news for you to share and taking us through the process of getting those eggs fertilized, seeing your “child” as a 4 cell organism is amazing and of course the implant into the uterus. Congrats to both of you. Just best wishes for health and continued progress!

Hey Divhut, I’m glad you enjoyed that we took you through the process, IVF is a lot of unfortunate/difficult things but one perk is being able to be so involved and know so much about the little life beginning.

Thanks for the good wishes 🙂