Dividend update: March 2017

By | April 2, 2017

Disclaimer: Stocks mentioned on this blog are for general entertainment/documentation purposes only, following our own investment journey and decisions. Nothing in this article should be considered investment advice nor is intended to be investment advice. Please click here to continue reading our disclaimer. By viewing any page on this blog you are agreeing to the linked terms & conditions.

How do we know if we’re getting any closer? By tracking it of course.

Our dividend updates and graphs run from 1st July to 30th June each year, lining up with the Australian tax year. So this is this the 9th month of this tax year.

Dividend Update

In March we were paid the following in cash and franking credits:

Challenger (ASX:CGF) $37.74 cash and $16.17 franking credits. Total $53.91
Class (ASX:CL1) $1.89 cash and $0.81 franking credits. Total $2.70
Collection House (ASX:CLH) $11.78 cash and $5.05 franking credits. Total $16.83
Greencross (ASX:GXL) $11.02 cash and $4.72 franking credits. Total $15.74
Healthscope (ASX:HSO) $7.88 cash and $0 franking credits. Total $7.88
Regis Healthcare (ASX:REG) $10.51 cash and $4.50 franking credits. Total $15.01
Ramsay Health Care (ASX:RHC) $4.24 cash and $1.82 franking credits. Total $6.06
Combined $85.06 cash and $33.08 franking credits. Total $118.14

With the above dividends, we re-invested the ones that had DRPs (Dividend Re-Investment Plans) and received:

3 Challenger shares
2 Greencross shares
3 Healthscope shares

Here is our dividend graph for the tax year so far:

Woo! Another month above $100! After 9 months down of this tax year our average dividends per month is $41.66 which is a nice increase since last time. We’re aiming for an average of $50 a month by June so hopefully we get there with new investments and re-investing dividends.

We’re going to start comparing how we did against the previous year’s month. So let’s have a look:

March 2016: $63.83

March 2017: $118.14

Increase in dollars: $54.31

Increase in percentage: 85%

A big increase in % terms. Challenger was our biggest payer and we’re happy for it to continue be one of our biggest. But most of the increase actually came from all our new purchases that we didn’t own a year ago.

It’s great to know that we’re almost certain to get over $100 in the 4 major payer months of March, April, September and October from now on. The other months will always have smaller amounts simply because of how few Australian businesses pay in those months.

How was your March for dividends?

Thanks for reading this article about our investing journey Down Under.

44 thoughts on “Dividend update: March 2017

1. Buy, Hold Long

A very nice increase indeed. You will have to be happy with that. Hopefully you can reach your goal by the end of financial year. I really think you will be able to.

Thanks BHL – hopefully we do! We’re happy with this month, it’d be nice to get a few more months over $100 over the next couple of years.

Thanks WF30, we’re really pleased with ourselves with the progress we made. And you’re right, our payers this month are all pretty good ones for the long-term (hopefully!).

DDU –

Solid months over $100 is always a great feeling. I hope that you have enjoyed reinvestment well, as it seems to be working out for you : )

-Lanny

Thanks Lanny. We really appreciate your support! You’re right, getting over $100 is a great feeling. Now to get it to $200 🙂

3. Patrick

Great increase. Maybe I should consider buying some Australian dividend payers :-))

Keep on grinding. The increase of dividends comes month over month, year over year.
    Our dividend income will be posted throughout the month.

Good luck with achieving the yearly goal.

Thanks Patrick! We are doing our best and will never give up, don’t worry. There aren’t too many Australian companies, but we think there are a few gems in there.

We’re doing our best with the annual goal 🙂

Congrats on the great month! 85% increase….that’s what I’m talking about! Keep up the great work. Excited to see you doing amazing things and making some great news towards your goals.

Bert

Thank you ATL! 85% is a really nice increase for us, we’re going to do our best to increase by high double digits every month for a while.

5. LadyFIRE

Nice work guys! Having another zero on the end of a dividend payment is such a wonderful feeling!

6. DivHut

That’s some real cash. Who wouldn’t like earning $100+ passively? Congrats on that triple digit as well as that very, very healthy year over year gain. Keep doing all the right things. Thanks for sharing.

7. SMM

Congrats on the dividend success the past month! Most of my investments pay dividends, but I currently don’t have a way of tracking my dividends. However I look periodically into my account to check a couple of payments and make sure they are accurate. I need to develop a more regular system to check these and see if there are more ways to increase/optimize dividend income.

Depends on what you’re trying to achieve with your investments, tracking may or may not be useful. One day, we want our investments to pay us more income than we spend, that’s why we track how we’re doing.

8. Brian

Seems to be trending up. Keep on plugging along. I see increases in your future.

-Brian

9. Troy @ Market History

I didn’t receive any dividends because my etf’s don’t issue them. However, in terms of capital gains I was flat for March but up 14% for the quarter.

10. Dividend Daze

Congrats on the great month! That is a huge increase and has to be a good feeling getting over 100 in a single month. I finally achieved that for my first time this month which was a record high. I’m really impressed by your graph showing you are almost at $200 in dividends after the first 5 days of April haha. Not sure if that was by design of not. Keep it up! You are on the right track.

Nice job on getting into the 3 digits!

We had plugged in our expected dividends for the rest of the month when we uploaded the graph..we’ve taken out the April figures for now haha.

11. Troy @ Market History

Have you thought about buying some BHP? I think their dividends aren’t terrible, but more importantly I’m bullish on commodity prices in the long term so I think BHP will do well.

We are generally not interested in any resource or materials companies. However, BHP does have a pleasing dividend history, but I don’t think now is the time to buy for us if we were to buy any. Thanks for the question 🙂

Thanks for sharing your dividend income update!
    Since I’ve been back to work, my interests have aligned more closely to this statement…

“One day we want to be able to live purely off the income from our investments. The earlier this happens in our lives, the better.”

Great job on the yoy increase as well as crossing $100! Keep it up 🙂

Thanks Graham, glad you liked our motto of doing things so much 🙂

We’re doing our best to make things happen and, slowly, it’s happening.

13. Doug

Great work and an average of 41 is so close to you goals. After all those nothing months great to see you get over 100.00. Keep it up

14. Tawcan

Wow solid month guys! Very happy to see you guys doing so well on the dividend income front. 🙂

15. Dividend Portfolio

Hey Mr. DDU,

This is my first time visiting your blog. Excellent job on getting over 3 digits again. I also think that you’re right in that it’s important to start tracking your dividends. Although I started a year ago, I view April 2017 as my unofficial start date because this is the first time that I am going to be tracking my dividends on a monthly basis (as opposed to just reporting on the annual dividend income I’m expected to receive). It’s also good to see the yearly increase as well, and the 85% increase you reported is an awesome one.

Congrats again.

Thanks for visiting our blog Dividend Portfolio 🙂 We like tracking the month to month movements because we like seeing how the individual companies are increasing (or not).

Good luck with your tracking too 🙂