Pregnancy update & expenses so far

By | April 27, 2017

Author: Mrs DDU.

It’s been a while since we gave you guys any official updates on the baby front. In fact, we haven’t posted anything on the topic since we were successful with our IVF. So here is a long-awaited update, including some juicy news such as the gender and some not so exciting news of how much we have spent on pregnancy so far.

We are now just over half way until our little one is due to enter the world. Which is crazy and makes my heart flutter with how much we still have left to do before our tiny human arrives, but also feels like it’s taking forever for time to pass until we can meet them.

We had the big anatomy/20-week ultrasound recently and our baby looked healthy (and cute). I also had a NIPT (non-invasive prenatal test) blood test at around 10 weeks of pregnancy to assess our risk of chromosomal abnormalities, which also came back low risk. Relief all round that our little person is developing on track and is healthy in there.

One of the perks of the 10 week NIPT blood test (apart from the reassurance that our baby is healthy) is that they can detect the gender with about 95% accuracy. So, we have been keeping the gender from you guys since February! We wanted to wait until the 20-week ultrasound to confirm it… We are so excited to say that we are having a girl! This is really surreal news for us, we always day-dreamed about having a girl first whenever we talked about our future children (would have been just as excited for a boy though! I especially love the boy name we picked out).

Other notable pregnancy milestones that we have hit:

– Baby DDU is kicking up a storm, for the last 2 – 3 weeks I’ve been feeling definite kicks each day.

– Mr DDU felt a kick from the outside about a week after I first felt strong kicks.

– This week Baby DDU has started to respond to Mr DDU’s voice, when he places his head on my stomach and talks she responds with very strong/regular movements.

– The pregnancy app says that she is about 30cm long now, I can’t believe that tiny speck of an embryo on our IVF transfer day is a full person kicking me from the inside!

How’s mum?

I’m doing good! More aches and pains than I expected at this stage, my pelvis aches at times. Feeling our baby kicking is amazing and I’m just trying to enjoy every part of it. The emotional side caught me a bit off-guard – I cried after only being reminded of a sad movie the other day, I wasn’t even watching it! (that montage scene in UP gets me every time).

I never officially got morning sickness, just nausea and food aversions, so I feel pretty lucky there! Although my food aversions have stuck around it seems, I still can’t stand the idea of some of my old favourite meals.

Cravings – I am going absolutely crazy for soup, I have it for lunch every single day. I’m also loving oranges, apples and unsweetened Greek yogurt.

Pregnancy Expenses so far

We have been buying up baby clothes and smaller things like that throughout the pregnancy but these are a bit hard to track because they’re often purchased with other items (like with our Aldi weekly food shopping) so I haven’t included those expenses. We have also gotten a fair few items from Opshops and a family member of ours has kindly passed on their baby items because they’re done having kids.

Thanks to the hand-me-down clothes and our small purchases it seems that Baby DDU is all set for her first few months of clothing, swaddles and blankets, we are not intending to buy any more of these particular items. We also bought our pram and bassinet second hand for less than half of RRP whilst we were still trying to conceive. Having a lot of trying to conceive/IVF time up our sleeves meant that we have collected quite a few of the necessities already.

Notable expenses so far:

$198 in January on two ultrasounds ($51 was refunded by Medicare for each, so the original cost before refunds was $300).

– $445 for the NIPT blood test and $93.99 for a fetal doppler (to listen to our baby’s heart beat once a week) totalling $538.99 for larger purchases in February.

– We booked birth classes in March, $190 deposit on a non-hospital birth class and $200 for hospital classes (birth class and baby first aid). We also had an urgent check-up at our doctor (everything was ok in the end!) and spent $20 on city parking. March totalled $410.

In April we spent $280.88, made up of $30.88 at Baby Bunting (baby store) on some mattress protectors for Baby DDU’s bassinet and $250 on the 20-week anatomy ultrasound ($85 Medicare refund, original cost $335).

All up that means we have spent $1,427.87 on larger notable expenses, not including the IVF it took to get here!

What’s next for the second half?

We have to pay the first instalment for our doctor in a few weeks, it’ll be $5,000 in total with a refund of about $500 from Medicare, the first instalment is $3,500. We have budgeted for this in a separate bank account with IVF money that we thankfully didn’t need to use for IVF (so we won’t include this expense in our monthly savings rate).

In June and July we will be undertaking the 3 classes which we have already booked.  We also get a “promotion” in June to have doctor appointments every 2 weeks instead of the current monthly schedule.

Of course, we will also be working through our very long to-do list of baby preparation – hospital bags, car seat, organising her room, buying those last items… and all the other small things on that to-do list that seem ever so important to do before she arrives!

Thanks for reading this article about our baby journey Down Under.

43 thoughts on “Pregnancy update & expenses so far

1. Amanda @ centsiblyrich

It’s so good to see this update, Mrs. DDU! I’ve been wondering about how things are coming along with the baby. Even though it’s been a while, I remember the waiting for our first baby seemed so long! I just couldn’t hardly wait to meet the little guy. Anyway, enjoy the preparation and the kicks from your baby girl! Looking forward to hearing more about your journey into parenthood! 🙂

Thank you Amanda 🙂 I’m glad I’m not the only one who feels like it’s taking forever, I’m sure I’ll start to feel even more impatient soon purely because of the discomfort factor.

2. Mrs. ETT

Glad to hear things are moving along so well, and that you’ve been feeling OK. I had no idea there was so much “pre-work” involved with all of the scans and visits! Sounds like you are still well-prepared for the costs. Keep growing, Girl Baby DDU.

Thanks for your positive growth wishes (although I hope she doesn’t grow too big haha). There are a lot of appointments and tests and everything else leading up to baby – a lot of it I wasn’t aware of until it was actually upon us. In a lot of ways I’m glad that there are quite a lot of pregnant activities/things we have to do because it makes it feel like we are actually preparing/things to think about instead of just waiting for the birth and nothing else in the middle – if that makes sense!

The costs/timeline would probably vary a bit depending on the choices made by each pregnant lady – we have gone the private route and are using our fertility specialist as our pregnancy/delivery doctor. I’m sure it’s a fair bit different going the public route (and almost free!). Originally we were going to go public but after everything that we went through, we just wanted the familiarity and reassurance of our fertility doctor taking care of us, definitely don’t regret spending the money (so far).

3. Martin - Get FIRE'd asap

So far, so good Mrs DDU. Wow, I didn’t realise just getting to the actual delivery was so expensive in itself. It’s been a very long time since I went through this (and in NZ) and I’m sure that back then expenses such as the doctor, midwife, scans, and public hospital delivery were all free.

Good thinking on adding baby stuff to your weekly shop. We did that and had a room-full of nappies, clothes, and other necessities by the time the big day came around. And hats off to you for getting some 2nd hand stuff too. I think some parents are just a little too precious refusing to have used items for their bundle of joy.

Good luck for the 2nd half of your pregnancy.

We made the big decision to have our baby via the private system instead of public, so that would account for the massive costs, haha. Originally we didn’t even have private health insurance and definitely planned for a public birth, but as time went on and we had our experiences with infertility/IVF we decided that we wanted to have the continued care through pregnancy by the same Dr that did our IVF. Partly made that decision because we had some money left over from our IVF fund because of how lucky we were to be successful after so few attempts.. that could cover the cost of going privately with that left over IVF money (we would not have gone into debt just for a private birth).

The ultrasounds are standard costs though these days, unless you can manage to get an appointment for the ultrasound in a public hospital (but they have massive demand for scans, wait times, etc), quite a few women who go public still end up paying ultrasound costs because you’re able to book at times that suit you and all that. Medicare isn’t keeping up to date with rising costs and only covers about $50 of an ultrasound.

4. Buy, Hold Long

Fantastic news both Mr and Mrs DDU. A very big congrats again. My brother recently had his first child (son) and he is so spoilt already. All the best to you guys!

5. Life we learn

A baby girl! That’s so exciting, congrats!
    Yes, babies are very expensive 🙂 almost every time we visit baby bunting we come out a few hundred dollars poorer lol! Having family members wanting to hand over their baby items is great and will save you a few $$ for sure. Sounds like you guys are super organised and have budgeted well for everything which is great!

Thank you! Baby bunting is such a trap haha. Although I managed to go in there the other day and not buy anything (was researching car seats). I am putting together a list of things we need from there though.. Not looking forward to how much that will be!

6. LadyFIRE

Great news for you. Is that $5k normal baby having costs, or is it costing you extra because of the IVF? For some crazy reason I never thought of how expensive it could be to have a baby. I mean, having a baby is obviously pricey, but I never imagined it would cost so much in the 9month lead up.

The $5k cost is because we are having our baby privately (using the Dr that we used through our IVF). It was a bit of a luxury decision we made, wanting that continued care with a Dr we really trust and feel reassured by. We had some money left over from our IVF fund so that is what we have allocated to the private costs. Pretty much all the other costs we’ve outlined though are not private related – I imagine we would have spent those smaller numbers even if we were going public, it’s just that $5k that is the public vs private cost.

It is quite insane how much it costs to have a baby privately – I never thought we would, we always planned for public, but then fertility went belly up and all the IVF… and well, we have made some choices when it comes to baby that are about comfort/reassurance/luxury instead of just good value.

1. LadyFIRE

Hey, it’s an entirely new human that you’re making! Definitely a time when you can toss value out the door and do the best for you and bubs!

7. ambertree

That is great news. I am really happy and excited for you!
    As you know, we have 2 Ivf girls as well. Good thing: years later, we have only good memories about the whole Ivf experience.

When i read the costs to have a baby in Australia, i am happy to live in Belgium, despite the high taxes we pay. Our cost dwarves compared to yours.

All the best!

Thank you Ambertree :). I’m glad to hear that when you look back at your IVF experiences that you have good memories and positive thoughts. Even though only about 6 months have passed since our last IVF cycle, I am very grateful and do have positive thoughts about it – I’m so grateful that process gave us our little baby growing away in my tummy!

8. Vicki@MakeSmarterDecisions

SO exciting! You have planned so well and soon you’ll be ready to welcome your little girl! So happy you didn’t have morning sickness. Being able to eat unsweetened Greek yogurt is amazing (and a great source of protein). I can hardly handle that not pregnant 🙂

Thanks Vicki, that’s a big compliment on the Greek yogurt haha. Surprisingly, I used to eat it even before pregnancy, it is especially good if you combine the yogurt with the apples – has a sweet/bitter kind of mix to it. Or maybe I just have crazy taste buds 😉

9. Jax

Such good news that everything is progressing well! Congratulations on your baby girl!

Thank you AE! In an alternate reality we could have organised play-dates for our little girls. I’m very much enjoying reading your updates on parenthood – it’s great to read someone elses experiences who is just a few steps ahead.

10. Tawcan

Woohoo a girl! That’s awesome! Babies can be as expensive and cheap as you want. It’s best to just get passed-down/second hand clothes since they grow up so quick. You’ll be surprised how quickly babies grow out of new born/1 month clothes. Other expensive things include car seat and stroller but these you can get 2nd hands if you really want… personally I think you want a new car seat or get it from someone that you trust. Don’t just buy some random car seat from someone you don’t know. Keep the updates coming!

Thanks Tawcan :). We have gotten quite a lot of second hand clothes (and other items) from a family member who is done having kids, I also have hit up the second hand stores a few times – don’t worry, we are well ontop of getting good bargain stuff!

I did mention in the article that we have also bought our stroller (pram) and bassinet secondhand (which we found on online buy/sell). My mum is very kindly buying our car seat though, which I am very happy/grateful for because we do want our little one to have the most up-to-date safety available for her carseat.

11. Our Frugal Escapades

A baby girl! We are so excited for you! 🙂

You both did a great job preparing for the costs in advance, and I’m sure that took a huge financial burden off your plate. Looking forward to reading more positive news on the baby/financial front! 🙂

Thank you! We are so excited for us too haha.

I’m really happy with how we are managing the costs, when I added them all up I was quite surprised at how well our savings rate has been doing despite the large total (and we still have 3 months to go)

12. Wealth From Thirty

That’s awesome news! So glad your little girl is kickin around happily. You both sound super well prepared, with all the purchases and baby birth classes!

Best wishes for the second half 🙂

Thank you WFT, the baby kicks are so good! I can’t get over them. Mr DDU is often trying to get her to kick and I said the other day “why do we like it so much? once you’ve felt one kick you’ve surely felt them all and it won’t be any different” – kind of shows how attached we are to her already.

13. MrSLM

I remember when MrsSLM and I were expecting #1, we had this cute app that told us the size of the little guy and what to expect those weeks, often with comparisons to fruit. So we could say, “Oh, he’s the size of a grape now! This week he’s the size of a plum!”. No idea why but really looked forward to each week and seeing which fruit was next lol.

Anyway, congrats again you two 🙂

Our pregnancy app has the comparison to fruit/vegetables too, it’s such a cool feature, on our app you can also change it to animals. I remember when we were very early on and baby was the size of a lady bug, we saw a lady bug whilst we were outside one day and were just amazed that our baby was that big.. and now she’s huge in comparison! haha.

Sometimes I’m so impatient to learn what size the baby compares to that I cheat and change the date on my phone to see what it will be – so I totally get that same excitement you had.

Thank you!

14. Adventures with Poopsie

A little girl!!! How exciting. I am a newly minted Aunty of two little boys and they’re wonderful, but a little girl would be just so adorable.

Well done guys, we are so pleased for you. Glad to hear you’re enjoying soups Mrs DDU. I’m not pregnant but am going a little soup crazy over here now that it’s getting quite chilly at night time.

Thank you AWP! I hope you’re loving the Aunty status!

Soup is amazing right now, love the way it warms me up and baby DDU does seem to kick me more when I eat it, maybe she can feel the warmth too.

15. Kalie @ Pretend to Be Poor

So exciting! Congrats! Sounds like you are set up nicely for your baby’s arrival. Secondhand baby items are great for most of their needs.

Did you know that around 7 months, Dad can start hearing the heartbeat just by putting his ear to your tummy? Sometimes you have to find the right spot, but it’s pretty neat!

Thanks Kalie! We had no idea about Dad being able to hear baby from the outside – thank you so much for stopping by and sharing that with us! We will definitely be trying that out in a few weeks when we hit 7 months.

Crazily enough, he can feel my heart subtly beating in my stomach when he puts his head/hand there to feel baby – I guess because all my blood is pumping to the uterus.

16. J @ Hey, It's Just Money!

This post brings me so much happiness! *hugs* I’m glad to hear the baby started kicking. I think the last time I asked you how everything’s going, you said you’re worried (?) Because you can’t feel the movements. But then again that was like a few weeks into it. 🙂 I didn’t realise pregnancy is that expensive. I told my bf the other day that we should start saving more and allocate it to IVF because my baby making clock is ticking. Lol. At least I have you guys to consult. Congratulations again!

Hey J! Yes the last time we spoke I was very impatient to feel her kicks, thankfully it only took a few weeks from that convo for her to really start kicking away.

We are going privately for birth, so if you guys go public you won’t have that extra $5k figure for the Dr like we have.

I surely hope you guys don’t need IVF! No harm in putting a little aside each month into a high interest savings account though, and then if you are success falling pregnant naturally you could use that pre-saved money for baby costs (and even going privately if you wanted that extra luxury like we did).

Definitely consult us on whatever baby news/thoughts/etc, always happy to DM with you about anything 🙂

17. Gary

Hi Mrs DDU! Congratulations!

We had a baby recently and there is one way you can save quite a bit on the baby set up costs (we’re from Australia too).

What we did was set up a baby register at Babies R Us (the baby section of Toys R Us). Wait for the sales to go on at Baby Bunting (they are always the best sales) and then get Babies R Us to price beat them (they beat any advertised price by 10%). The best bit is that once you’ve bought everything you close off the baby register and you then get a gift card in the mail for 10% of your total spend. This works REALLY well when you’re buy big items like cots / prams / carriers etc.

Oh that is a very cool trick! Thanks for stopping by and sharing that with us! Surprisingly I haven’t gone to Babies R Us yet but keep meaning to make a trip there. Unfortunately we have bought a lot of the big items secondhand, or been given them as secondhand items already so there isn’t a ton left to buy – but definitely still worth it for all the little bits and pieces that we will be buying before baby comes.

This is an amazing piece of info that I will keep up my sleeve to share with anyone else that I know if they become pregnant, thanks for passing it on!