Author: Mr and Mrs DDU.
Disclaimer: Stocks mentioned on this blog are for general entertainment/documentation purposes only, following our own investment journey and decisions. Nothing in this article should be considered investment advice nor is intended to be investment advice. Please click here to continue reading our disclaimer. By viewing any page on this blog you are agreeing to the linked terms & conditions.
One day we want to be able to live purely off the income from our investments. The earlier this happens in our lives, the better.
How do we know if we’re getting any closer? By tracking it of course.
Our dividend updates and graphs run from 1st July to 30th June each year, lining up with the Australian tax year. So this is this the 10th month of this tax year.
In April we were paid the following in cash and franking credits:
- Altium (ASX:ALU) $27.61 cash and $0 franking credits. Total $27.61
- InvoCare (ASX:IVC) $10.20 cash and $4.37 franking credits. Total $14.57
- Japara Healthcare (ASX:JHC) $57.42 cash and $24.61 franking credits. Total $82.03
- Rural Funds (ASX:RFF) $10.39 cash and $0 franking credits. Total $10.39
- Select Harvests (ASX:SHV) $6.70 cash and $2.87 franking credits. Total $9.57
- WAM Capital (ASX:WAM) $17.03 cash and $7.30 franking credits. Total $24.33
- WAM Research (ASX:WAX) $18.54 cash and $7.95 franking credits. Total $26.49
- Combined $147.89 cash and $47.10 franking credits. Total $194.99
With the above dividends, we re-invested the ones that had DRPs (Dividend Re-Investment Plans) and received:
27 Japara shares
5 Rural Funds shares
1 Select Harvests share
7 WAM Capital shares
12 WAM Research shares
Here is our dividend graph for the tax year so far:
Wow! Not just another month over $100, but nearly $200! This was a great month. $195 could pay for a lot of things in our lives, but like you saw above we’re putting all of it back into more shares to grow the snowball quicker.
Let’s compare how we did against the previous year’s month. So let’s have a look:
April 2016: $42.20
April 2017: $194.99
Increase in dollars: $152.79
Increase in percentage: 362%
A gigantic increase in % terms. We must admit that around 200% of this gain came from Japara changing its payout from May to April. Without that change, our increase was still 168%. Either way, it’s a great increase and we couldn’t be happier with how much income we received this month.
We’re an extremely long way off being able to live off our investment income, but the ball is really rolling now.
How was your April for dividends?
Thanks for reading this article about our investing journey Down Under.
Onwards and upwards!