Dividend update: July 2017

By | August 1, 2017

Disclaimer: Stocks mentioned on this blog are for general entertainment/documentation purposes only, following our own investment journey and decisions. Nothing in this article should be considered investment advice nor is intended to be investment advice. Please click here to continue reading our disclaimer. By viewing any page on this blog you are agreeing to the linked terms & conditions.

One day we want to be able to live purely off the income from our investments. The earlier this happens in our lives, the better.

How do we know if we’re getting any closer? By tracking it of course.

Our dividend updates and graphs run from 1st July to 30th June each year, lining up with the Australian tax year. So this is the start of a new tax year!

Dividend Update

In July we were paid the following in cash and franking credits:

• Rural Funds (ASX:RFF) $21.47 cash and $0 franking credits. Total $21.47
  • Combined $21.47 cash and $0 franking credits. Total $21.47

We re-invested the Rural Funds dividend and received 11 more shares.

Here is our new dividend graph for the tax year:

Not much of a start but it’s something. We won’t have many July dividend payers on our journey, so any growth is good for us.

July 2016: $7.46

July 2017: $21.47

Increase in dollars: $14.01

Increase in percentage: 288%

You may remember that we have a dividend goal of $622.50 for the 2017 calendar year as part of our 2017 goals, which is a 50% increase on 2016’s total. So far during 2017 we have received $357.28, we’re still on track.

How was your July for dividends?

Thanks for reading this article about our investing journey Down Under.

17 thoughts on “Dividend update: July 2017

1. Dividend Daze

Nice work. Like you said, any growth is good growth. And you had over 200% which is more than a little growth. Keep it going. You should be able to hit your goals if you keep on track like you are doing. Cheers!

Thanks Dividend Daze, you are totally right. We’re proud of what we’re achieving and we can’t wait to see how much we grow next year 🙂

2. Team CF

Glad to read you guys are still on track to make the 2017 goal. Best of luck (and well done on 288% YOY increase, that looks really cool).

Nice work on the 288% YOY increase! It’s great to see that you guys on still on track to beat your goal.

As for my dividends, I am still waiting for the dividend payment from my employer to be deposited into my share purchase plan. I was really hoping it would be deposited before the end of the month, but for some reason the employer plan has a delay. Nevertheless, I’ll be reporting my July dividends as soon as it gets updated – hopefully by tomorrow. Thanks for sharing! Keep it up guys! 🙂

Thanks Graham, we were super proud of our efforts this month.

Looking forward to seeing how your dividend went for July, will go and back it out now 🙂

Thanks IH, there are one or two that we want to add to our portfolio but we will be relying on Rural Funds for a lot of our income with this.

4. Sarah De Diego

Dear DDU,

What brokerage do you use to purchase stocks and how much does it cost?

I’m in Canada and with a major bank (TD Waterhouse). No matter how much I buy or sell, it costs me $9.99. In turn, I find that I “save up” a bunch of money and then invest (usually) twice a year (January and August). Perhaps I’d make more money (in dividends and capital gains) if I just spend the money and purchased stocks on a monthly basis. Something to think about.

Besos Sarah.

Hi Sarah, we use CMC in Australia which costs $11 per trade. We don’t mind that and we do invest monthly so you just have to do what works for you really, we have found a system that works for us.

5. Divnomics

Not just any growth… 288% is freakin awesome! Goal is still on track, nothing to complain right? From here the only way is up. Looking forward to see what the other half of the year will bring you.

Yeah the percentage growth is absolutely awesome but we still have a while to go before it’s a large, meaningful number. Hopefully the next half year will bring us even more dividends 🙂

DDU –

Nice work over there and – want to try to repeat that growth rate for 2018? I think you can do it, easily.

July was solid, I should have my article out tomorrow showing the details behind the door, curious on what you and the community think!

Nice work, again, glad to see the score back in your favor on the board!

-Lanny

Haha Lanny, I think it would be utterly incredible (and impossible) to replicate that growth for the rest of the year as much as we’d love to!

Cheers for your continuing encouragement 🙂

7. DivHut

It’s a start to the year, that’s for sure. The amount matters not as much as the fact that you started your dividend journey and was able to put up some serious year over year growth. Keep building dollar by dollar. It all adds up over time.

8. MrSLM

Congrats, 200% is very impressive! Btw, how’s everything on the baby front, I feel like the due date must be soon!

9. Stalflare

When I first started comparing YoY I finally was seeing “the light” of DGI investing, and of course it was a great feeling. It doesn’t matter if NOW numbers are small the track ahead is quite long and you’ll look back in a few years with a smile on your face. Way to go DDU, and keep up the good work!
    Ciao ciao