What is our FIRE? And our news

By | February 12, 2018

Most people know what the acronym FIRE stands for. Financial Independence, Retire Early. Lots of people are aiming to retire as early as possible so that more of their lives can be spent doing things they want to do, rather than working.

Retiring early is a noble goal and one that we’d encourage everyone who wants to achieve that to strive for it.

Everyone has their reasons for wanting to retire early, perhaps most want to FIRE because their work or commuting is such a drain on life.

Plenty more people are just aiming for financial independence, the kind where one’s wealth and finances are big enough where the money can last the person hopefully forever, but not necessarily retire early, just be in a strong financial position.

Plenty of bloggers out there launched blogs in the hope of building up enough income to work from home.

For a long time we have been aiming for both financial independence and retiring early. Commuting for 2 hours each day into the city and back for Mr DDU takes a long time, though public transport is nice and easy. Plus the costs of annual commuting.

Our FIRE has always been to make the most of lives as much as we can as soon as we can whilst enjoying the present.

The goalposts didn’t change much when Baby DDU came along, we wanted our lives for ourselves even more. In-fact, one of the first things that Mr DDU said to Baby DDU in the hospital was that he would try to spend as much time as he could with her. We did not know quite how hard or how soon we would work to achieve that goal.

Within a few months of Baby DDU’s birth, Mr DDU talked to his boss and the result is that Mr DDU now essentially works from home with very flexible hours.

This means a huge amount to us as a family.

She will never be this small again. She will learn her first words with Mr DDU around. She will first learn to crawl with Mr DDU around. She will learn to read and count with Mr DDU around. Those are things that many thousands of dollars can’t replace and are not worth missing.

The DDU family is extremely happy with this new set up, so a huge anonymous thanks to Mr DDU’s boss for making this possible.

Of course, there is a FIRE side to this too. Aside from working during the week, we have the lifestyle that we could want. We have an extra 2 hours to our day together (assuming working 9 to 5 hours) and close to $2k more for our budget.

Just over 2 years and 3 months ago we started this blog in the hopes of sharing our journey towards having an IVF baby and reaching FIRE. We have our baby and now we pretty much have the simple FIRE lifestyle we pictured, just without the large wealth balance. In some ways, we have achieved what we set out to do.

Don’t worry, we are going to keep blogging!

We began the blog with life goals, uncertain if we would ever be able to achieve them. Now we are faced with the purely financial goals of buying a house and growing our passive income to more than our desired expenses.

It does raise some interesting questions for our money now. Should we spend a bit more and really enjoy our life now? Perhaps we will. That’s something we will explore on the blog in the future and in real life. If we can boost our normal earnings as time goes on and spend a bit more it would create a wonderful lifestyle.

Baby DDU is loving interacting with Mr DDU lots and this has been one of the best things we’ve ever changed about our lives.

It’s hard to put exactly into words how content, comfortable and happy we feel from having achieved this, hopefully the previous 700 words conveys that.

Thanks for reading this article about our life journey Down Under.

11 thoughts on “What is our FIRE? And our news

1. Vicki@MakeSmarterDecisions

Congratulations on Mr. DDU’s change so he can be at home working! It sounds like so many things are right in your world at this point in time! What a wonderful thing! Enjoy these days! She will grow up fast!

DDU –

So excited and all it took was asking the boss/company and trying to make it work and that seems to be working nicely. Excited to keep up to date with your journey and the experiences you are able to share, so that we all are able to learn and take it all in.

-Lanny

3. Life we learn

After reading this, it honestly sounds like you guys are bursting with happiness! That’s just wonderful and I am thrilled for you all 🙂

4. Mrs. ETT

That’s fantastic, I’m so pleased for all three of you. When I first found FIRE, I was all gung-ho about the full retirement experience. Now, as I read of more people who are making their working life work for them, I’m seeing more possibilities. Enjoy your new situation and congratulations for taking a chance on asking!

5. Strong Money Australia

Oh man this is awesome! Possible the best news you could wish for!

You’ve already seen what a massive boost this has brought to your happiness – I’m not sure how spending more money will add to this happiness. There’s so many non-spending things that can be done first to increase happiness as you already know!

Congratulations again and this also helps you pump more cash into shares to create even more freedom sooner for Mrs DDU. Maybe sooner or later, the whole family will be together at home!

6. Leonid Bronfentrinker

Congratulations guys and thank you for the positive news. It’s great to read about all that you have achieved and give us inspiration. We also plan to have a baby soon and I will also be asking my boss to work from home full-time. It’s a great option if you can show your boss the benefits for both sides. Just wondering, was Mr DDU already working 1 or 2 days from home when he asked his boss or was this a completely new thing? I am currently doing 1 day per week from home and would like to talk to my boss to increase that but just wanted some ideas on the benefits for the company.

Cheers,
    Len

7. Frankie

Congratulations Mr and Mrs DDU! So great to hear you’ve been able to make this happen. I’m a massive believer in trying to make life great now (which doesn’t have to involve spending lots of money!), and my focus is on exactly the same thing with my kids – having flexibility with work to be in their lives as much as possible, and to actually enjoy the work I do. Not sacrificing all that so I can have an extra few $mil in the bank when I’m old.

You’ve hit the jackpot!

8. grogounet

we have the very same arrangement. both my wife and i. this is one of the best thing that you could wish for. you ll find yourself more productive and being parents when others still commute.
    after a while though, and i believe this is because of human nature and constant search for something new, we decided that, still, fire was the ultimate goal..

all in all congrats for this awesome step!

9. MrSLM

This rings close to home, since I also work remotely.

There have been so many times where the little guy has come up to me during the day, “asked” me (he can’t speak yet) to go play or do something, and I do. He won’t be this young forever, and whatever I’m doing right not when framed like that, doesn’t matter in the slightest.